Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Name?

If you're reading this, you may be wondering why I titled the blog thus. I have several reasons, actually. The main thrust of the title is that it's intended to provoke thought.

What would you die for?

If you've ever seen the Princess Bride, there is a scene where the hero character (Westley) is facing off against the villain (Prince Humperdinck), who is demanding his surrender. Incidentally, Westley is all that stands between his lady (The Princess Bride) and her kidnapping at the hand of the evil prince. An exchange takes place.

Prince Humperdinck: "For the last time, surrender!"
Westley: "Death first!"

There are a few things in life to which I know I would respond, "Death first!"

Renounce Jesus Christ? Death first.
Allow harm to come to my family? Death first.
Register my guns? Well...

And there's the rub...in the Internet community I frequent, there's a lot of From my cold, dead hands! bravado. But how many of those fiercely proclaiming, "Come and get them!" will really resist with violence? And when?

The Second Amendment has already been encroached upon to the point that the Founders would have revolted. Much of the freedom intended to be protected by the 2nd is already gone.

And in these troubled times when the 2nd Amendment is more than ever under attack from a rabidly anti-gun out of control agency - the BATFE - some men are starting to question where that line is. Mike Vanderboegh and David Codrea make me think about it quite a bit.

Where is the line? What is worth dying for? And do you have the guts to actually take a stand when it hits the fan?

Hence the title.

10 comments:

ajw308 said...

Good question. I'm similar on my answers.

I do see a lot of paper tigers on the net also.

Isaac T said...

wow, i dig the new blog.

JF said...

will you promise not to hurt me?

M1Thumb said...

What was that?

What was that?

JF said...

After Westley says "Death first!" Buttercup interjects with "Will you promise not to hurt him?" to the dismay of both the Prince and Westley.

M1Thumb said...

Yes, yes. My reply was Humperdinck's and Westley's responses to her "Will you promise not to hurt him?"

JF said...

oh, funny. On another note: what do you think about the recent Supreme Court ruling regarding Gitmo?

Anonymous said...

After Westley says "Death first!" Buttercup interjects with "Will you promise not to hurt him?" to the dismay of both the Prince and Westley.

And, to reiterate, of course Westley is hurt (mostly killed) afterwards, in spite of the promises.

Anonymous said...

Once you have identified something in this world worth dying to defend, you have, in the same instant, identified something worth killing others to protect.

That is what the Founding Fathers knew to be true, and it would behoove us to remember that.

P.S. The Princess Bride is my favorite movie and I think the blog title is super-duper neato.

"My name is Kaveman, you killed my Founding Father, prepare to die."

heh

ReverendFranz said...

Bill Cooper once said on his radio show, years ago, before he was killed by police officers at his home, that if you arent willing to die for something you beleive in, then you dont beleive in anything, because, if you are asked by someone who is willing to take your life to change your belief, you will, and you will beleive in nothing, and be nothing.

Id say, unless you are willing to die for something, you are not alive.